Learning English? How motivated are you?
written by Lilian Ndongmo. ESL Teacher
Motivation plays an important part in any undertaking, including learning English. How motivated are you?
Read the following sentences and answer yes or no.
1. I have the 2012, 2013 or 2014 edition of an English dictionary and I use it at least once a week.
2. I have a bilingual dictionary (your native language and English).
3. I speak English at least 1 hour a day.
4. I listen to something (radio, music) in English at least 30 minutes a day.
5. I write in English at least three times a week.
6. I watch TV in English at least 30 minutes a day.
7. I make an effort to use correct grammar.
8. I don’t get discouraged when I don’t understand what people say.
9. I make an effort to speak English even when I make mistakes.
10. I try to make new friends or join a group so I can practise my English.
If you answered yes to all 10, you’re very motivated and well on your way to making huge progress. Keep it up!
7 plus yeses: You’re quite motivated. Changing those No’s to yeses will do your learning process a lot of good.
5 yeses or less: You’re not very motivated. Remember, your English won’t improve itself. You won’t wake up tomorrow morning speaking fluent English. Make an effort to learn and you will see big changes! Get to work.